[LLVMdev] writing LLVM bitcode interpreter in Fantom language

Solovyov Dmitry trigan.sda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 05:02:57 PST 2011

Hi all. I'm new to LLVM and pretty interested in it.
I want to write LLVM bitcode interpreter in Fantom programming language. Or
we can call it a virtual machine with LLVM bitcode as an instructions set.
I'm not sure what is more correct. Ok, we can say that I need to write my
own lli tool in Fantom :)
Fantom is a high-level language that can run on both the Java VM and the
.NET CLR. (www.fantom.org).
So, i have two questions:
1) Is it theoretically possible to interpret and execute such a low-level
instructions without direct calls to c/c++? For example, in pure Java.
2) Did anybody else try to perform a similar task? I mean LLVM bitcode
parsing, interpreting/compiling, execution with... ok, let it be just Java
(i can use any Java code from Fantom).
Or may be, there is already a similar project?
Anyway, any help will be useful. I will be grateful for all advices or
links.
Thanks in advance!