[LLVMdev] How to get the name and argument of a function

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 19 13:08:16 PST 2011

On 1/19/11 1:47 PM, songlh at cs.wisc.edu wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
>
> I finally fix my problem.
>
> My code is like this:
>

> //CallInst* pCall   pCall is a printf called in my situation
> if( ConstantExpr * pCE = dyn_cast<ConstantExpr>( pCall->getArgOperand(0))){
>
>    if( GlobalVariable * pGV = dyn_cast<GlobalVariable>( pCE->getOperand(0))){
>
>      if( ConstantArray * pCA = dyn_cast<ConstantArray>(
>                                    pGV->getInitializer()
>                                    )){
>          Err<<  pCA->getAsString()<<  "\n";
>       }
>    }
>
> }
>
> I find dump() method is very useful, since it can get me some indications
> about which class document I need to check.

I'm glad it works.  On a related note, I noticed that your original code
iterates through all instructions within an LLVM Module looking for call
instructions and then only processes those that call printf().

It would probably be more efficient to get a Function * to the printf
function (Module::getFunction ()) and then iterate through its uses,
checking each use to see if it is a direct call to printf().  That way,
the run-time complexity is a linear function of the number of printf
calls and not a linear function of the size of the program.

-- John T.