[LLVMdev] LLVM IR Type System Rewrite

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sat Feb 26 14:40:45 PST 2011

Hey Chris,

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> Several people have been proding me to write up my thoughts on how to fix the IR  type system for LLVM 3.0.  Here are some (fairly stream of conscious) thoughts on the matter:
> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/TypeSystemRewrite.txt

Awesome! This is definitely long overdue...

Proposal seems very reasonable to me, I think the linker logic will
become much nicer overall by making things more explicit.

Strictly speaking, does this need to be a 3.0 feature? I haven't
thought about it, and don't know that part of the code particularly
well, but is the idea it would be too hard to auto-upgrade to this?

 - Daniel