[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] repo.or.cz GIT mirrors

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 14:26:46 PST 2011

Good morning, Dave.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM, David A. Greene <greened at obbligato.org> wrote:
> Do git repositories cloned from git-svn mirrors work properly?  For
> example:
>
>                         svn
>                          ^
>                       git-svn
>                       /     \
>                      /       \
>                git clone A  git clone B
>
> I don't think one can share commits from clone A to/from clone B without
> going through the parent git-svn repository.  Is that right?  I recall
> having read something about that somewhere.

Maybe sure on git-svn's branch (eg. master).
"master" should never be pushed to "git-svn", but "git pull --rebase"
should be done.

Each clonee should do "git-svn dcommit" individually.
(and it would be happier if you did "git pull --rebase llvm.org)

Of course, other branches may be push/pull-ed among repos. It is git!

> If this is a problem, it might be counterproductive to provide a
> repo.or.cz mirror at all, because people will think it's a "proper" git
> repository when it really isn't.

Which do you mention to, "Anton's repo" or "(coming) cloned repo from llvm.org"?
With latter, I don't think there might be any matters.
(as far as a person would never do "git push -f repo.or.cz master")

> BTW, the llvm.org git-svn mirror is for trunk only, right?  How
> difficult would it be to include the latest release tag in the git-svn
> mirror (RELEASE_28 right now)?  This would greatly help people that work
> with the latest release of llvm rather than trunk.

+1. Anton, please provide *official* release branches. ;)

...Takumi