[LLVMdev] New TargetSpec 'llvmnote'

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Feb 22 18:46:14 PST 2011

Hi All,

There is recently a discussion on the LLDB list about how to deal with targets, and our current mismash of llvm::Triple and the various subclasses of TargetSubtarget leave a lot to be desired.  GNU target triples are really important as input devices to the compiler (users want to specify them) but they aren't detailed enough for internal clients.

Anyway, in short, I think that we should unify the variety of code we have to deal with this stuff into a new TargetSpec class.   I don't have any short-term plan to implement this, but I wrote up some of my thoughts here:
http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/TargetSpec.txt

Remember that this isn't intended to be something users deal with, it's just an internal implementation detail of the compiler, debugger, nm implementation, etc.

-Chris