[LLVMdev] Fwd: Windows/Visual Studio 2010 warnings (WARNINGS!)

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Sun Feb 20 07:21:52 PST 2011

Forwarding to llvmdev

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org>
Date: Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 16:02
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] Windows/Visual Studio 2010 warnings (WARNINGS!)
To: Anton Korobeynikov <anton at korobeynikov.info>

I was joking about the fact that I am only a Windows user (LLVM
initially does look rather *nix biased).

But I guess you have a valid point.  The problem, as I see it, is that
there is a LOT of (great) documentation.  If you stumble across the
site and wanna get flying right away, you will hit the ground shortly
after.

Perhaps something could be done to make life easier on newbies like
myself.  Here's a couple of ideas:

1. "The LLVM Getting Started Guide" could be written in bold typeface.
2. At the very top of "The LLVM Getting Started Guide" could be a bold
link to the "Getting Started with the LLVM System using Microsoft
Visual Studio" page.

Those are just my two cents.

I didn't intend to imply that Linux, Mac OS X, or FreeBSD guys are
less than Windows guys.  More on the contrary (except for the Mac OS X
guys).  Most Linux and FreeBSD users know what they are doing.

P.S. Has anybody tried building LLVM with the OpenWatcom compiler?  If
not, I will give it a try because it is about 10 percent faster than
the Microsoft compiler in my 10 year old real-life tests (a print
server).

Cheers,
Mikael