[LLVMdev] Structure Types and ABI sizes

Renato Golin renato.golin at arm.com
Tue Feb 15 16:47:28 PST 2011

On 15 February 2011 23:21, David A. Greene <greened at obbligato.org> wrote:
> LLVM understands GEP better than ptrtoint/inttoptr, which is why we make
> the transform.  Whether you can do this is probably dependent on how you
> lower things.

We're using only GEPs from start, so we might not hit all the problems you did.

I was actually surprised that the change to support those ABI
constraints wasn't too big...

>> That's a valid point. The OpenCL guys were also discussing metadata
>> and I think it's fair to consider it a first class citizen.
>
> I would like to see that too but it might be an uphill battle.  :(

Maybe even steeper than introducing new fields to the IR...

>> But that unleashes a completely different beast that I'm not willing
>> to handle right now... ;)
>
> Oh, come on!  Where's your sense of adventure?  :)

:D

One thing at a time... It's in my TODO list to prepare a document with
all the hacks one has to do to make C++ be translated to IR.

As far as I know, llvm-gcc and clang had the same problems and solved
the same hacky way, so there might be other people that would agree on
some more radical changes. But we need more evidence to start with...
One thing at a time... ;)

--
cheers,
--renato