[LLVMdev] LLVMdev Digest, Vol 80, Issue 13

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Feb 15 08:42:19 PST 2011

Reid Kleckner <reid.kleckner at gmail.com> writes:

> So far as I know in the field of compilers "vectorization" always
> refers to lowering code down to use SIMD operations.

Not true at all.  "Vectorization" as mapping exclusicely to fixed-length
SSE-style instructions is relatively new.  Traditionally, vectorization
has meant targeting vector registers with variable-length operations and
masks.  The SSE-style instructions sets are very limited in comparison.

The Allen/Kennedy book is a good resource.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-Compilers-Modern-Architectures-Dependence-based/dp/1558602860

                           -Dave