[LLVMdev] The name of LLVM

Jianzhou Zhao jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 21 08:35:58 PST 2011

Hi LLVM,

I have a question that is irrelevant to LLVM developing, but do not
know where to post. I found the LLVM webpage uses the following new
introduction of LLVM
  "The LLVM Project is a collection of modular and reusable compiler
and toolchain technologies. Despite its name, LLVM has little to do
with traditional virtual machines, ..."

I remember the old webpage said that LLVM = low level virtual machine.
Do you still like to take LLVM as an abbreviation of  low level
virtual machine? But this sounds inconsistent with " LLVM has little
to do with traditional virtual machines"? If so, if I am introducing
LLVM to people, do you want me to unfold LLVM as its full name, or use
LLVM directly?  Thanks...

--
Jianzhou