[LLVMdev] Unable to build vmkit

Jeff Slutter jeff at slutter.com
Fri Dec 16 23:25:38 PST 2011

Hello, I am using Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit. Following the instructions on the
VMKit website I grabbed llvm, clang, and vmkit via svn (and GNU
Classpath via the link of the page). Compilation of llvm, clang and
classpath went fine. I had problems compiling vmkit, which seem to be
related to a TargetOptions being required as a parameter when creating a
TargetMachine in LLVM. This led to a couple other places in VMKit's code
that tried to reference some LLVM global variables that no longer exist
(I assume because they were moved into TargetOptions).

I attempted to make some minor fixes to get by this and I did, but when
it was building mmtk-vmkit.jar (I think that's what it is doing) I got
an assertion while running the vmjc command in the Makefile:
vmjc: JavaRuntimeJIT.cpp:469: void *j3ResolveSpecialStub(): Assertion
`FI->Metadata != __null && "Wrong stack trace"' failed.

So, either my "fixes" were bad, or I have another problem that I don't
know how to solve :)

Should I be grabbing a specific version of LLVM/Clang from SVN (instead
of the head)?

Thank you,
Jeff