[LLVMdev] Changes to the PTX calling conventions

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Tue Dec 13 09:54:09 PST 2011

From: Justin Holewinski [mailto:justin.holewinski at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:48 AM
To: Villmow, Micah
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] Changes to the PTX calling conventions

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Villmow, Micah <Micah.Villmow at amd.com<mailto:Micah.Villmow at amd.com>> wrote:
Currently, PTX has its own calling conventions where they are split into kernel/device.
The AMDIL backend requires very similar calling conventions and I was wondering if
we could change the calling conventions from PTX_* to something more generic?

Maybe just Kernel/Device? Or would it be preferable to add a new calling convention
that is unique for each target, even though it duplicates functionality?

I don't see any reason why a generic calling convention would not work.  We could do something like cl_device/cl_kernel.  I hate to introduce OpenCL terms into a back-end where OpenCL is just one consumer, but it does map cleanly to the architecture model.  Or perhaps something more generic like gpu_device/gpu_global.
[Villmow, Micah] Yeah, but this should apply to more than just gpu's. For example, AMD's OpenCL CPU implementation could utilize the calling conventions, along with projects like ocelot that have the device-only vs host/device differentiation. Maybe just device/host is good enough?

Thanks,
Micah

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski