[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] GEP index type

Rotem, Nadav nadav.rotem at intel.com
Sat Dec 10 14:06:52 PST 2011

Eli,

I understand the need to widen unsigned types. However, I ran into a problem with the current GEP/subscript that clang has.

AVX2 gather instructions rely on a 64-bit base pointer and a vector of 32-bit indices. Usually, when vectorizing programs, it is possible to detect that the GEP base pointer is uniform and that the index is variant (and needs to be vectorized). This works really nice for 32-bit programs, except that on 64-bit systems clang drops the information that the index is a 32-bit value. If I had this information then I would have been able to use the AVX2 instruction in many cases.

Do you see a way to overcome this problem ?  Since InstCombiner has this optimization, can we talk about dropping this optimization in clang ?

Thanks,
Nadav