[LLVMdev] Spilling predicate registers

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Fri Dec 9 13:29:06 PST 2011

s/llvm-commits/llvmdev/

On Dec 9, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Arnold Schwaighofer wrote:

>> As Jakob pointed out to me, the core problem is that the current
>> register scavenger implementation will only give you one register; for
>> the PowerPC case, and it looks like for your case as well, we might
>> really need two registers. In the short term, a reasonable solution
>> might be to modify the register scavenger to enable it to return
>> multiple registers. This seems to be related to the number of emergency
>> spill slots the scavenger reserves (because it "cannot fail"), so there
>> might be some downside to this. We would have to add some
>> target-dependent callback to tell the register scavenger how many slots
>> to reserve (the default would be 1). Do you think that this is worth
>> doing?
>>

> I started modifying the backend to support 2 scavenged registers only to
> end up realizing half way through that in our case we don't need two.
>
> On Hexagon we can get around the requirement for the second register (the
> first for storing the predicate, second for a large offset that does not
> fit into the spill instruction) by using a constant extended value. A
> constant extend value is a value encoded in the instruction stream, taking
> up one instruction slot.
>
> {
> r10 = memd(fp+##LARGEOFFSET)
> }
> For us this is the better solution as we want as little as possible spill
> code in hot regions.

Neat ISA!

> To support 2 scavenged registers, as you already said, we would need:
> * target hook to indicate the maximum number of simultanously live
> scavenged registers needed
> * support in RegScavenger for more than one registers: instead of state
> for one register (ScavangedReg, ScavengedRC, ScavengedRestore) we need
> need an array of such states that are handled correctly
> * PEI::scavengeFrameVirtualRegs must be adopted to handle more than one
> register
> * PEI::calculateFrameObjectOffsets needs to handle the reserved scavenger
> spill slot frame indexes

I am not sure extending the scavenger is the right way to go about this.

There are two different situations where we might need extra registers to spill something:

1. When spilling a weird register class like predicate registers, we already known during register allocation that we will need a scratch GPR to assist with the spill.

2. When spilling to a stack slot that may be out of reach of the offset encoding.

The scavenger is really meant to handle the second case, although there is nothing wrong with using it for the first case as well.

However, in the first case we know immediately that a scratch register is necessary, so why not just ask the register allocator for one?  Basically, I think storeRegToStackSlot should be allowed to call MRI->createVirtualRegister() when it needs a scratch register.

That doesn't work today because the register allocators don't expect it.  I don't see any fundamental problems preventing it, though.

We would need to make sure that all 4 register allocators can handle it. RAFast is the most difficult to fix.

/jakob