[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] LLVM & Clang file management

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Sun Dec 4 08:33:23 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Manual,
>>>
>>> I'm +2 on the general idea.
>>>
>>> I have had various thoughts in this direction as well (although no
>>> implementation). See:
>>>  http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2010-July/009903.html
>>> for my RFC from last year (focused at bug reporting, but involved
>>> defining a VFS layer).
>>
>> Cool, that sounds like another use case very similar to our replaying
>> at scale use case.
>>
>>> My one main implementation level comment is I don't think FileManager
>>> is the right API layer to abstract at (it is too specific to Clang's
>>> usage, and too hard to propagate through the rest of LLVM). My
>>> intuition is that it is better to set out to define a lower level VFS
>>> layer that is rich enough to support everything we do and the vagaries
>>> of Win32/Unix, but is otherwise minimal.
>>
>> What about FileManager is too high level / too clang specific? The
>> uniquing logic? The possibility to add in stats caches?
>> Do you think we'd want to have a CachingFileSystem on top of the VFS
>> layer? That would sound more orthogonal, on the other hand FileManager
>> is doing pretty OS-specific stuff to unique the inodes where possible.
>
> I guess I was thinking that it might be more cumbersome to move the
> other parts of LLVM / Clang that do direct file access to use
> FileManager, and would require expanding the FileManager interface
> much beyond what it currently is (e.g., there are no interfaces at all
> for output).
>
> It's mostly an intuitive guess at this point, but that lead me to
> think it would be better to have the VFS be slightly lower. But this
> also depends on the design goal of the VFS, discussed a bit in the
> reply below.
>
>>> One requirement I hope any proposed VFS design will support is
>>> emulating Win32 on Unix (and vice versa), which imposes assorted API
>>> complications but I think is worth it overall.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "emulating win32"? I'd
>> hope to get win32 / unix stuff hidden behind the VFS; do you expect
>> that not to be possible performance wise?
>
> I'd like to distinguish between "hidden" and virtualized. What I was
> thinking was to virtualize the interfaces so that LLVM/Clang would
> still be aware of the differences between win32 / unix (when
> necessary, like in relation to inodes), but that would all be based on
> going through a VFS layer. So one could then emulate any FS on another
> one, but the definition of the VFS would still expose the underlying
> differences between Unix/Win32/etc.
>
> Was your plan directed more at hiding? In that case I can see why you
> would want to start at the FileManager level.

Well, the answer to that question depends highly on the performance
characteristics we can get.
I usually prefer hiding, unless performance requires us to break the
abstraction.

Ok, after browsing the implementations of PathV2 and FileSystem, this
stuff already looks pretty close to what I'd want to write anyway,
minus putting it into classes to enable run-time virtualization (and
it doesn't look like it would be too hard to switch FileManager to run
on top of FileSystem...), and splitting up FileSystem into a
FileSystem and a OperatingSystemPaths or something (how system
libraries are found, etc)

Do you know whether there were roadblocks to the PathV1->V2
transition? (or was just somebody with enough stamina missing ;)

> I think both approaches probably can work, although hiding makes me a
> bit more nervous because I think the API design ends up being much
> harder (and more likely to incur performance tradeoffs). I'm always
> pretty leery of attempts to paper over the differences between
> platforms.
> Did that explanation make sense? If not I can sketch pseudocode to
> make it more obvious.

Sure, code always helps :)

Also, do you have any objections to just virtualizing
Support/FileSystem and basing FileManager back on top of that?

Cheers,
/Manuel