[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.0 - Windows - auto-importing issue with llvm::CallInst

Kevin Kelley kevin at kelleysoft.com
Sat Dec 3 04:51:37 PST 2011

On 12/2/2011 9:09 AM, Alan Garny wrote:

> However, there is one new (minor) issue which is that when building my
> application I get a warning from the linker about auto-importing
> having been activated without --enable-auto-import being specified on
> the command line. Indeed, for some reason, the vtable for
> llvm::CallInst has to be resolved...?! This is clearly not critical
> since I can get rid of the warning by adding --enable-auto-import on
> the command line, but I wish I didn't have to do that (it's not clean
> in my view).

Mostly harmless... for shared libs on Windows you'd normally have to
either:
use __declspec(dllexport) on exported functions, and __declspec(dllimport)
on the prototypes for code that uses them; or:
list symbols to be exported in a .def file when building the dll, and
link with that .def file when building code that uses it.

GCC on mingw came up with the "auto-import" option to avoid those
nuisances by, automatically exporting everything, if otherwise there'd
be no exports and you're building a shared-lib.  When it does this
without being told to, it emits that warning message, so you know
it happened.

I think that that warning went away in later versions -- this seems
to be the most-appropriate behavior and apparently doesn't
cause problems, so for GCC, auto-import and no special markings
on your code is what you should usually do.

But I'm not an expert -- just trying to follow along.  There are
potential issues with relocations and thunks and position-independent
code and intermittent failures when DLL relocations "collide"...
but I really don't want to have to worry about that.

Kevin

(a couple interesting links ab't enable-auto-import):

[1] http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.16/ld/WIN32.html
[2] http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/binutils/ld_4.html