[LLVMdev] svnsync of llvm tree

Kurt Lidl lidl at pix.net
Sun Aug 28 21:21:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 01:47:02PM -0700, Benjamin Kramer wrote:
> On 17.08.2011, at 11:36, Kurt Lidl <lidl at pix.net> wrote:
>
> > Why can't I mirror the whole tree?
>
> The original reason for this limitation was that complete checkouts
> put a lot of stress on the server.

While I agree bootstrapping a new mirror from scratch is time and
resource consuming, this can be largely avoided by making a seed
of the svn tree available.  (Basically, I think that looks like
a compressed tar file of the svn repository.)  Or, a svnadmin dump
of the repo could be made available for the adventurous.

I was under the impression that the overhead to synsync a mirror
of a complete svn repository wasn't too great.  svnsync keeps track
of the last revision in a repo that it has successfully fetched,
and after that, will only ever request the changes newer than that.

> We upgraded the server hardware
> since but I'm not sure whether we can lift the restriction.
>
> However, we have official git mirrors of most of the projects on
> llvm.org, would using them instead of svnsync be an option for you?

Well, if the authoritative source code control system for all the
llvm projects is svn, I'd just as soon use svn as the tool at my end.
Having multiple source code control systems pulling and converting
to their own internal storage formats doesn't gain me a lot.  I suppose
I can look into using the git mirror of the llvm tree.

However, I think if the resources on the apache server were increased
modestly, the svnsync would work just fine too.

-Kurt