[LLVMdev] ShadowStackGC.cpp - More Dead Code?

Ben Karel eschew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 07:51:22 PDT 2011

Hi Bill,

I don't think it's dead code, per se -- AFAIK there are still clients of
LLVM which use the shadow stack as part of their garbage collection
implementation. HLVM is probably the most visible such project.

My own project now has its own GC plugin to emit stack maps, rather than
relying on the shadow stack. But for what it's worth, I found the shadow
stack to be a useful stepping stone towards a "real" GC implementation when
I first started out with LLVM's garbage collector infrastructure.

-- Ben