[LLVMdev] git Status

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at apple.com
Fri Aug 19 07:08:09 PDT 2011

On Aug 19, 2011, at 2:57 AM, FlyLanguage wrote:

>> On Aug 18, 2011, at 10:57 AM, David Greene wrote:
>>>
>>> Did the project ever come to a decision about making a transition to
>>> git?  I'm trying to do some longer-term planning and it would be helpful
>>> to know what the roadmap is.
>
> It's stuck on:
>
> 1) A misunderstanding that global revision numbers are necessary and
> that 'git describe' along with frequent tagging (commit hooks) isn't
> good enough.
>
> 2) Nobody writing up how git should be used with the current llvm
> workflow (which is not going to adapt to an SCM, but the other way
> around, which is understandable.)

>From chats with some llvm/clang developers at Apple, we're also stuck on:

3) Somebody doing all of the thankless infrastructure work to ensure that we don't regress on basic things like the web interface, post-commit email hooks, etc.

4) Having a few stakeholders audit the conversion process to ensure that "we do it right".

5) There are organizations that use the current git-svn bridge extensively to maintain long term topic branches before proposing/integrating them into the public repository. If the conversion changes the SHA1 of commits (and it likely will due to goal #4), then these organizations will need time to prepare for the conversion (to avoid unscheduled downtime and/or any loss of history).

davez