[LLVMdev] Back ends for instructional use?

Adve, Vikram Sadanand vadve at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 15 11:20:03 PDT 2011

I'm trying to decide whether to use either the MIPS or ARM back ends for course projects in our introductory compiler class.  I'd like to use something that has a stable back end, so that the students can use the selector, probably without changes, and do a project on register allocation and stack layout.  We don't have MIPS or ARM hardware (other than possibly a few donated Android phones to play with), so a simulator like Spim will be essential.

1. Is there a similar open-source or free simulator for ARM that would run llc- or lli-generated code on Linux?

2. How stable is the MIPS back end?  We need the whole thing for testing, and as a reference implementation.

Thanks!

--Vikram
Professor, Computer Science
http://llvm.org/~vadve