[LLVMdev] dwarf directory table and file table

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Aug 3 14:03:12 PDT 2011

On Aug 3, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:

> On 2 August 2011 20:02, Devang Patel <dpatel at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
>
> > I've been looking into the debug info in llvm recently. After conferring with a DWARF expert, I think what we really want for a file is to enter the actual name of the header that the preprocessor found between "" or <> on the #include line, and for the directory it should be the actual header search path used.
>
> There are few wrinkles here, because these are preprocessor tokens.
>
> Sure, but I was thinking of nabbing the actual string after macro expansion. Clang's PresumedLoc.getIncludedLoc() points to the post-macro expansion buffer.
>
> - What about #include_next ?
> - #include <Foo/Foo.h> does not mean  {include path ...}/Foo/Foo.h for Apple's framework header.
> - Some IDEs, like Xcode, uses header maps. If you're curious search HeaderMaps in clang FE.
>
> The dwarf line table should be able to encode directory names. I am not sure, what is the advantage of using actual tokens between "" or <> as a file name ?
>
> The DWARF committee's intent is that line table faithfully represent the user inputs which led the compiler to doing what it did. You brought up excellent points of course and I think they should be brought up with the DWARF committee.
>
> For now I think we can largely ignore these issues; #include_next could be implemented by equivalence to "#include <whatever included the outer header>",

> frameworks could be treated as-if they had their equivalent -I lines written out,

#include <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> means include /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Headers/Cocoa.h. As you see, there is no substring in actual path that matches user input.

> and HeaderMaps are ... odd, but we can probably figure something out (what do they currently do?).

HeaderMap short circuits compiler's include header search; in other words, it tells compiler to ignore all include paths and use file on disk directly pointed by the map.

Using HeaederMaps, IDE can instruct compiler to include /I/am/really/here/MyHeader.h when it sees #include <a/b/c.h>

-
Devang