[LLVMdev] implicit Pass Type dependencies between Analysis Pass and Transformation Pass

Chuck Zhao czhao at eecg.toronto.edu
Mon Aug 1 16:53:33 PDT 2011

i am organizing my LLVM Passes into an Analysis Pass and a few
Optimization Passes, which takes the result from analysis pass to guide
their transformations.

I found a surprising pass type dependency between the analysis pass and
optimization passes.

E.g.
Analysis-Pass Type                Optimization-Pass Type
         Status in Optimization Pass when adding the Analysis Pass
Function Pass                         Function Pass
                         Fine
Module Pass                          Module Pass
                        Fine

Module Pass                          Function Pass
                          Stuck
Function Pass                         Module Pass
                       Stuck

Function Pass                         Loop Pass
                            Stuck
Module Pass                          Loop Pass
                            Stuck

The "stuck" situation happens when calling
AU.addRequired<AnalysisPass>() inside the OptimizationPass's
getAnalysisUsage() function.
The opt tool seems to run into an infinite loop (on trivial testcases,
which should finish in a flash of a second).

Seems the Pass type between Analysis Pass and Optimization Pass has to
match.
I wonder if this is documented somewhere?
Is there a simple rule to guide this?

E.g.
if the Optimization Pass needs to be a LoopPass, does it mean the
AnalysisPass _has to_ be a Loop Pass as well?

Thank you

Chuck