[LLVMdev] Symbol folding with MC

Borja Ferrer borja.ferav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 06:30:21 PDT 2011

Hello, I have some questions regarding folding operations with symbols
during the instruction print stage with MC. At the moment I'm working with
global symbols but i guess that other symbol types should be equivalent.

My first question is how can i negate the address of a symbol?

Consider this piece of code:
char g_var[80];
char foo(int a) { return g_var[a]; }

this gets compiles into something like (in pseudo asm):
addi a, g_var
load retreg, a

but i dont have an add with immediate instruction so i have to do the
following
subi a, -g_var // negate g_var addr
load retreg, a

A solution I thought could be passing a target flag indicating that a
negation is needed when lowering the machineinstr into a MCInst, and adding
a MCExpr to negate the symbol. But I want to know if there's a better way to
do this, instead of delaying it to the stage of MCInst lowering.

The other questions is how to fold single and complex operations on symbols,
say we have something like:

unsigned int g_var[80];
unsigned int foo() { return (unsigned int)&g_var[0] & 0x1234; }

Currently this moves the g_var address into a register and then performs the
and operation, but i want this to be done at compilation time, so we have
something like:

move retreg, (g_val & 0x1234)

Without touching anything else only additions get folded, but this could be
expanded into other operations like or, xor, shifts, etc.. A more complex
case would be combining operations in a single statement. So my question is
how to achieve this. As an idea I've thought of using a pseudo instruction
that takes an operand depending of the instruction to fold, then expand this
pseudo instr into the real move instruction by setting a target flag
depending on the operation to fold, and in the MCInst lower stage create a
MCExpr depending on these flags, but this has the problem that it can't
handle more than one operation per statement.

Thanks