[LLVMdev] svn server permissions for top-level svn update

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 00:45:02 PDT 2011

Hi,

My svn working copy mirrors the layout of the whole svn repository,
from llvm-project downwards, so I have:

~/svn/llvm-project/
~/svn/llvm-project/llvm/
~/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/ # lots of stuff in here
~/svn/llvm-project/cfe/
~/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/ # and lots of stuff in here
(and likewise for test-suite, llvm-gcc-4.2 and dragonegg)

This is nice because I can do "svn log" and even "svn commit" at the
top level, to do things that affect both LLVM and Clang atomically.

But it is very frustrating that I can't do "svn update" from the top level:

~/svn/llvm-project$ svn up # doesn't work
svn: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response
to REPORT request for '/svn/llvm-project/!svn/vcc/default'
~/svn/llvm-project$ svn up llvm/trunk/ # doesn't work, very frustrating!
svn: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response
to REPORT request for '/svn/llvm-project/!svn/vcc/default'
~/svn/llvm-project$ ( cd llvm/trunk/ ; svn up ) # does work!
At revision 129984.

Is there anything that can be done at the server end to fix this, or
at my end to work around it (without having to keep cd'ing into
subdirectories)?

Thanks,
Jay.