[LLVMdev] GEP vs IntToPtr/PtrToInt

Jianzhou Zhao jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:44:12 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, John Criswell <criswell at illinois.edu> wrote:
> On 4/20/11 10:08 AM, Jianzhou Zhao wrote:
>>
>> I have a question about when we should apply these pointer aliasing
>> rules. Do the rules tell us when a load/store is safe?
>> "Any memory access must be done through a pointer value associated
>> with an address range of the memory access, otherwise the behavior is
>> undefined."
>
> I don't think the pointer aliasing rules indicate when a memory access is
> safe.  Rather, they set down rules for what the compiler can consider to be
> defined and undefined behavior.  It lays down the law for what optimizations
> are considered correct and which are not.

I see. The rules are the 'abstract' semantics used to check aliasing.
I looked into the section because LLVM IR does not say out-of-bound
load/store is  undefined. Is it because if or not such access is
defined depends on the semantics of the high-level language from which
the IR is compiled?

>> So this means the conversion discussed here is still safe in terms of
>> memory safety, but its meaning after conversion could be weird. Am I
>> correct?
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  However, if you're asking whether casting a
> pointer to an integer and then casting the integer back to a pointer is
> correct, I believe the answer is yes.  We certainly treat it that way in
> SAFECode although in the current implementation, it can weaken the safety
> guarantees.  Our points-to analysis, DSA, doesn't track pointers through
> integers, and so SAFECode uses more lenient checks on pointer values coming
> from inttoptr casts; DSA can't always guarantee that it knows everything
> about the memory objects feeding into it.

Yes. That is what I meant.

--
Jianzhou