[LLVMdev] How to prevent duplication of function calls?

Dmitry Denisenko DDENISEN at altera.com
Mon Apr 18 07:45:20 PDT 2011

Thanks Reid. It looks like the first thread didn't really get anywhere. The author most likely just modified the offending passes to respect the barriers (this is my guess based on what I read in that thread).

By the time back-end starts, it's too late, since the front end does some of the duplications.

For the record, I probably will end up doing the following:
- Modifying passes that duplicate the calls not to do so.
- Marking all barrier calls with a new global variable.
- Assert that no duplication happened (i.e. there are no two barriers that access the same global marker). If that happens, tell the user to turn down optimizations until the assert failure goes away :(.

This is a maintenance problem but probably still easier than writing generic re-merging pass.

Dmitry