[LLVMdev] Macro-op fusion experiment

Nicolas Capens nicolas.capens at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 09:59:31 PDT 2011

Hi Jacob,

As far as I know, an x86 'mov' instruction always uses an ALU resource.
According to Agner Fog's documents (http://www.agner.org/optimize/), it can
execute on port 0, 1 or 5 on recent architectures though. So it's not that
likely to be resource limited. But it still occupies an instruction slot
throughout the entire pipeline, costing power and potentially limiting other
actual arithmetic instructions from scheduling optimally. Also, it has a
latency of 1 cycle, while non-destructive instructions would shorten the
latency of dependent instructions.

My immediate concern is getting a reasonable estimate for how often this
macro-op fusion could be performed. This could then be used to evaluate
whether it's worth the added decoder complexity.

Cheers,
Nicolas