[LLVMdev] llvm instrinsic (memcpy/memset/memmov)and ConstantExpression with cast

Kodakara, Sreekumar V sreekumar.v.kodakara at intel.com
Thu Apr 14 16:34:42 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I have a question on ConstantExpressions and llvm intrinsic memcpy/memset/memmove. I am using llvm-2.8 release. In one of the C programs that I am compiling using clang frontend, the call to memcpy instrinsic looks like the following

call void @llvm.memcpy.p0i8.p0i8.i64(i8* %tmp2, i8* bitcast (%struct.ta* @tret to i8*), i64 4, i32 4, i1 false), !dbg !19

The second argument to memcpy is of type "struct ta" and global variable "tret" is defined as follows in the code.

struct ta {
  int a;
};
struct ta tret;

Since memcpy takes i8* as its argument, the struct.ta* is bitcasted to i8* in the call to llvm.memcpy. For a pass that I am working on, I would like to know the original type of this pointer. In this example, I would like to know that the second argument is a pointer to type struct.ta, and hence the size of memory allocated to that pointer is 4 bytes.

I understand that the second argument to memcpy intrinsic  namely i8* bitcast (%struct.ta* @t1 to i8*)  is a ConstantExpression (CE). When I dump CE->getArgument(0), I get the following.

@t1 = global %struct.ta zeroinitializer, align 4

But from here, I am not able to find the relevant class/API to extract the type of CE->getArgument(0) and hence the size of it. When I tried CE->getArgument(0)->getType(), I am getting the type as Pointer and hence the size to be 8 bytes. I would like to get the type as StructTy and size to be 4 bytes. I searched through the llvm code

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sreekumar