[LLVMdev] Assuring ARM code quality in LLVM

Galina Kistanova gkistanova at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:24:42 PDT 2011

Hi Renato,

>I was recently investigating the build bot infrastructure and noticed
>that the arm-linux target is failing for quite a long time. I believe
>that it means ARM code is not executed all that often in LLVM tests,
>is that correct?

>We were wondering what kind of support we could give to make sure ARM
>code is correct and don't regress, specially before releases (I know
>it's a bit late for 2.9).

>We have thought about some routes:
> - Install some build slaves on our side, so you can test them (linux,
>bare-metal), if it's possible to cross-compile on build slaves.

It is possible.
We host several build slaves which cross compile. The issue with cross
compilation is that tests do support well the cross scenario. We are
working on this but it moves slower then we wish it would be.

>>From what you've listed, we only have v5T and one cortex A8. We could
>provide more A8/A9s, M3s (mBed) boards and also models of all
>variations possible.

>Does it make any difference running them here at ARM or locally on
>OSUOSL? We could easily help them get more boards, too...

Llvm lab seems is the right place to put them, so people could get an
access to boards for debugging.

As a general note, my observations shows that slow builds gets less
attention from the community then fast ones.
This could be an issue with small boards.
I have been tried native builds on a beagleboard, it took about 4
hours to build without the tests which is a bit too slow.
We will need to find a way to make ARM builds faster.

Thanks

Galina