[LLVMdev] Enumerating machine functions

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Apr 5 23:51:46 PDT 2011

Hi Lorenzo,

> thanks for your reply. So if I understand correctly MachineFunction
> objects are converted to machine code one at a time, and each object
> is "thrown away" after having been converted.

actually that's not quite what I meant.  I was saying that the code
generators must not assume that the whole module is available.  For
example, it would be wrong when codegening a function to examine the
bodies of any functions it calls in the same module, or to examine
the initial values for any global variables it uses etc.  The reason
that this would be wrong is that it won't work if a front-end creates
a module which only contains declarations, then successively inserts
a body for each function into the IR, codegens that function, then
deletes the body for that function before moving on to the next one.
llvm-gcc has code for doing this for example, though it is currently
turned off.

  Seems that the only way
> to achieve what I have in mind is to write the machine code for all
> the functions to a file, and then load it and process it in a separate
> tool (possibly based on LLVM-mc). Is this correct?

I think you should do this kind of thing as a module level pass on the
LLVM IR, i.e. before doing code generation.

Ciao, Duncan.