[LLVMdev] Explicit register usage in LLVM assembly

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 13:51:17 PDT 2011

Hello Yiannis,

The answer to your question is "no" or at least "not without getting your hands
really, really dirty".  The intermediate representation of code is entirely
processor agnostic or tries to be.  Specifying something specific to just one
processor is made impossible on purpose to prevent people from making
system-specific code that would only work on one LLVM Backend.  If you want your
AMD64 processor to generate different code, you'll have to modify the AMD64
backend of LLVM and give %r15 a different register classification.  Doing this
will probably require some proficiency with TableGen (which I'm not so familiar
with yet) and require that changes be made to all of the other processor
specifications as well that you plan on using with your compiler.  This would
probably require a fork of the LLVM project altogether and should not be
considered lightly.

The reason I brought up about ABIs of operating systems earlier is that that is
the only time LLVM knows or even cares what register goes to what.  It is
defined by the calling conventions of function calls.  I'm certain that the
subject of "pegging" a register to a variable in a compiler came up before in a
previous discussion but the closest my Google searches revealed was this one:
 http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-November/011536.html

This begs the questions:  Are you trying to make a compiler only for AMD64?
 What operating systems do you plan on supporting with your compiler?  Do you
know that LLVM is deliberately maintained as a cross-platform framework for many
operating systems and processors?  What exactly are you trying to do that
requires such system-specific knowledge other than support a specific operating
system?

Maybe somebody else who is on the team can give a more specific answer than what
I gave.

I hope this helps,

--Sam