[LLVMdev] Bignums

Mike Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Fri Apr 1 14:24:40 PDT 2011

With some more tweaking, LLVM comes within ~10% of GCC.  Still, there's
a difference.  Here's a test case, which does a 128-bit x 128-bit to
256-bit multiply.

define private i192 @mac(i192 %accum, i64 %x, i64 %y) alwaysinline {
entry:
   %xx = sext i64 %x to i128
   %yy = sext i64 %y to i128
   %zz = mul i128 %xx, %yy
   %zzz = zext i128 %zz to i192
   %out = add i192 %accum, %zzz
   ret i192 %out
}

define [4 x i64] @fullmul([2 x i64] %x, [2 x i64] %y) {
entry:
   %xlo = extractvalue [2 x i64] %x, 0
   %xhi = extractvalue [2 x i64] %x, 1
   %ylo = extractvalue [2 x i64] %y, 0
   %yhi = extractvalue [2 x i64] %y, 1
   %m0 = call i192 @mac(i192 0, i64 %xlo, i64 %ylo)
   %o0 = trunc i192 %m0 to i64
   %out0 = insertvalue [4 x i64] undef, i64 %o0, 0
   %m1 = lshr i192 %m0, 64
   %m10 = call i192 @mac(i192 %m1,  i64 %xhi, i64 %ylo)
   %m11 = call i192 @mac(i192 %m10, i64 %xlo, i64 %yhi)
   %o1 = trunc i192 %m11 to i64
   %out1 = insertvalue [4 x i64] %out0, i64 %o1, 1
   %m2 = lshr i192 %m11, 64
   %m20 = call i192 @mac(i192 %m2, i64 %xhi, i64 %yhi)
   %o2 = trunc i192 %m20 to i64
   %out2 = insertvalue [4 x i64] %out1, i64 %o2, 2
   %m3 = lshr i192 %m20, 64
   %o3 = trunc i192 %m3 to i64
   %out3 = insertvalue [4 x i64] %out2, i64 %o3, 3
   ret [4x i64] %out3
}

#include <sys/types.h>
extern void fullmul(u_int64_t out[4], u_int64_t a, u_int64_t b,
u_int64_t c, u_int64_t d);
int main(int argc, char **argv) {
   u_int64_t x[4]={1,2,3,4}, n;
   for (n=0; n<100000000; n++)
     fullmul(x,x[0],x[1],x[2],x[3]);
}

The assembly is:
     movq    %rdx, %r9
     movq    %r9, %rax
     imulq    %rcx
     movq    %rax, %r10
     movq    %rdx, %r11
     movq    %rsi, %rax
     imulq    %rcx
     movq    %rax, (%rdi)
     movq    %rdx, %rcx   ;;; extraneous
     addq    %r10, %rcx
     adcq    $0, %r11
     sbbq    %r10, %r10
     andq    $1, %r10
     movq    %rsi, %rax
     imulq    %r8
     addq    %rcx, %rax
     movq    %rax, 8(%rdi)
     movq    %rdx, %rcx   ;;; extraneous
     adcq    %r11, %rcx
     adcq    $0, %r10
     movq    %r9, %rax
     imulq    %r8
     addq    %rcx, %rax
     movq    %rax, 16(%rdi)
     adcq    %r10, %rdx
     movq    %rdx, 24(%rdi)
     ret

... which has 2 extraneous mov instructions.  On my laptop (1.66GHz
Conroe), removing the extra movs and renaming registers drops the time
from 1.95s to 1.75s, of which 0.4s is loop overhead.  The difference is
less significant on newer hardware (Nehalem).

It's hard to say what impact such extraneous mov's have on a real
program.  My current testing code uses 4x4 Montgomery multiplies, which
are longer but have many more extraneous mov's.  So far I've only tested
the GCC version against the LLVM version, and the GCC version is 5-10%
faster, but this time the difference is more significant on newer
hardware, perhaps because the mul's and adc's are less of a bottleneck.
The difference is further skewed by the fact that the GCC and LLVM
versions use a slightly different algorithm, and the LLVM code seems to
optimize slightly better in other ways... so it may be that the extra
mov's are hurting it more than 5-10%.

Cheers,
Mike