[LLVMdev] gcc, conceptgcc, and llvm-gcc

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Thu Sep 30 07:19:38 PDT 2010

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 30, 2010, at 1:24 AM, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Xiaolong,
>
>> My previous work was done mainly in the front-end of conceptgcc,
>> whereas recently I am doing some code analysis in the middle-end of
>> llvm. I am considering to port my previous work to llvm.
>>
>> So, I am very concerned with the difference between gcc and llvm-gcc,
>> and of course the difference between gcc and conceptgcc. I have no
>> idea of the former difference, though I have some idea of the latter
>> difference.
>
> I don't think llvm-gcc is interesting for you.  I think you would do better
> to work on the clang front-end.  It seems to me that llvm-gcc is being
> abandoned, and everyone is migrating either to clang (for C/C++/ObjC) or
> dragonegg (for Fortran/Ada etc).

Agreed. Both conceptgcc and llvm-gcc are evolutionary dead ends. That said, if this is a research project that need not have a long life, merging the two is plausible: both are based on gcc 4.2, and conceptgcc touches on different parts of the frontend than llvm-gcc. Merging would take far less time than trying to reinplement concepts :)

  - Doug