[LLVMdev] CMake "sudo make install" & headers

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Sep 30 06:30:47 PDT 2010

Samuel Williams <space.ship.traveller at gmail.com> writes:

> I might just be doing something stupid, but when I do
>
> $ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/llvm-2.8 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
> $ sudo make install
>
> I don't get the expected headers in
> 	/usr/local/llvm-2.8/include/llvm
>
> It is simply an empty directory.

It works fine for me on Linux & cmake 2.8.2

> What am I doing wrong? This is on Mac OS X, CMake 2.8+

Maybe a platform-specific bug on cmake.

Try

$ make && sudo make install

(after throwing away your previous, sudo-ized build directory)

Building as root creates a lot of files owned by the superuser on your
build directory. This is an inconvenience because you are forced to use
`sudo' again for other operations on that directory.