[LLVMdev] Fwd: bitcode / bytecode

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Sep 30 05:26:40 PDT 2010

Am 30.09.2010 00:34, schrieb Chris Lattner:

> The format is literally a bitstream, not a bytestream.  See this document for more details:
> http://llvm.org/docs/BitCodeFormat.html

Ah... something I always meant to ask: How does the LLVM infrastructure
deal with the added overhead of packing/unpacking a bitstream?
Ignore it since modern CPUs can deal with that?
Some ingenious algorithm?

Last time I heard about a bitstream format was with the i432, where
hindsight lore has it that bitstreams are just too complicated to
maintain, but I guess some things might have changed since then.

Regards,
Jo