[LLVMdev] Questions on ARMInstrInfo.td and MC/ARM/ELF

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Wed Sep 29 15:15:06 PDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:09 PM, Jason Kim wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to decide on a MC'ized reorg of ARMAsmPrinter for MC/ELF,
> and had some questions.
>
> Currently, it defines quite a few methods like printAddrMode4Operand
> (linked to ARMInstrInfo.td) that currently assume raw text support in
> the OutStreamer. Are these methods still supposed to be invoked in the
> MC'ized path for assembly output?
> Is JimG's new MC/.s ARMAsmPrinter::EmitInstruction() somehow bypassing
> these completely?

The ones in ARMAsmPrinter.cpp are now effectively unused, and I'll be removing them soon. I just need to do a bit of tablegen hacking first to be able to do so. The MC versions are in AsmPrinter/ARMInstPrinter.cpp.

> and also on  EmitStartOfAsmFile(), it emits a bunch of text assembly
> attributes - which is clearly wrong for MC (but is still being used in
> the asm emission).

Since this is by definition only for .s file emission, why is this clearly wrong? Perhaps it is, but it's not obvious to me why.