[LLVMdev] Patch to allow llvm.gcroot to work with non-pointer allocas.

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:38:28 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM, nicolas geoffray <
nicolas.geoffray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Talin,
>
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Talin <viridia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Many languages support the notion of a "value type". Value types are
>> always passed by value, unlike reference types which are always passed by
>> pointer. An example is the "struct" type in C#. Another example is a "tuple"
>> type. A value type which is a local variable lives on the stack as an
>> alloca, not on the heap. When a function is called with a value type as
>> argument, the callee gets its own copy of the argument, rather than sharing
>> a pointer with the caller.
>>

> Yes.
>

>> Value types are represented in LLVM using structs, and may contain pointer
>> fields which need to be traced.
>>

> Yes.
>

>> The way that I handle non-pointer types is to generate an array of field
>> offsets (containing the offset of each pointer field within the struct) as
>> the metadata argument to llvm.gcroot. This meta argument is then processed
>> in my GCStrategy, where I add the stack root offset to the offsets in the
>> field offset array, which yields the stack offsets of the actual pointers in
>> the call frame.
>>

> Did you think of the alternative of calling llvm.gcroot on pointers in this
> struct? This requires to change the verifier to support non-alloca pointers
> in llvm.gcroot, but it makes the solution more general and cleaner: pointers
> given to llvm.gcroot only point to objects in the heap.
>
> I think that, originally, the purpose of the second argument of llvm.gcroot
> was to emit static type information.

Let me give you a more complicated example to see why this won't work:

Imagine I have a discriminated union type, whose type declaration looks like
this:

   var x:int or String.

The variable 'x' can be either an integer or a reference to a string object.
In LLVM assembly, this data structure is represented by the following
struct:

   { i1, String * }

The 'i1' field (the 'disciminator') is used to determine what kind of value
is currently stored in the union. If it's 0, then it's an int, and the
structure will be cast to { i8, int } before extracting the value. If it's
1, then it's a String pointer. The compiler does not allow access to the
wrong type - if the value it 0, the language does not allow you to extract
the value as a String.

Now, suppose we declare this as a local variable, so the union struct is
contained within an alloca. We want to declare the String pointer as a root,
but only if the discriminator is not 0. We can't determine this at compile
time, instead the collector has to be smart enough to examine the union and
determine whether it contains a pointer or not.

In my compiler, what I do is to generate a callback function that can trace
the object. This callback function is contained within a data structure that
is passed as the metadata argument to llvm.gcroot.

So my code looks like this (bit casts omitted for simplicity):

    %int_or_string = type { i8, String * }
    %x = alloca %int_or_string
    call void llvm.gcroot( i8 ** x, i8* @.tracetable.int_or_string)

Where '.tracetable.int_or_string' is the static type information for the
"int or string" type, containing both the field offsets and the callback
function to test the value of the disciminator.

Note that if I only declared the pointer as a root, then this wouldn't work
- the collector needs access to the entire data structure in order to trace
the object correctly.

Also, I think this is the right solution - llvm.gcroot is only responsible
for the offset of the base of the alloca, not for any of it's internal
structure, which is the responsibility of the compiler and the GCStrategy.

--
-- Talin