[LLVMdev] clarification to copyright section of developer policy

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Sep 23 10:44:19 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I updated the copyright section of the developer policy:
http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#copyright

This change doesn't affect any llvm policies, it just makes the developer policy reflect reality.

The previous version (archived here: http://llvm.org/releases/2.7/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#copyright) used to claim that all copyright was assigned to the university of illinois.  Since LLVM doesn't have a written copyright assignment process, this is just not true.  In practice, copyright assignment is really only useful (afaik) for two things:

 1) being able to change the copyright in the future.
 2) having a single entity to down violators of the license.

Since neither of these are really interesting goals for the project, having distributed copyright is not a problem.  My personal belief is that, for almost all contributors, distributed copyright is better, because it means that your code won't be changed to a different license in the future without your control.

I'm happy to answer any comments or concerns,

-Chris