[LLVMdev] [LLVMDev] [Fishing expedition] Virtual Machines and LLVM

Reid Kleckner reid.kleckner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 07:45:50 PDT 2010

There's two things you can do with the JIT:
1. If you don't have an interpreter, compile functions lazily, as they
are called.
2. If you do have an interpreter, wait until a function is hot to
compile it, then switch from the interpreter to the machine code and
back.

A real virtual machine should do the second in order to avoid
unnecessary compilation.

Reid