[LLVMdev] Is it possible to have multiple stacks in the backend?

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Mon Sep 20 08:32:48 PDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Dongrui She wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm developing a backend for a custom architecture.
> The target architecture has different memory for different data types(vector and scalar).
> So is it possible to maintain two different stacks, one for vector and the other for scalar?

I don't see why not. The target independent bits that interface with that sort of code should have sufficient target hooks in place to be able to handle any weirdness that results. In particular, I'm thinking of the Prologue/Epilogue inserter and eliminateFrameIndex() stuff. I don't know of any targets that are doing this sort of thing currently, though, so it's very possible there are unintended assumptions here and there that would need to be fixed.

-Jim