[LLVMdev] ARM MC .s status?

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Sep 14 11:50:35 PDT 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Jason Kim wrote:

> Hi Jim!
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> I've just started actively working on this. Coordinating to get things moving even faster sounds great! Can you elaborate a bit on your ultimate goals and use cases are? That might help us better determine a natural breakdown and separation of tasks. Evan and Chris may have suggestions there, too, as I know they're both very interested in getting this stuff fleshed out and working properly.
>
> It looks like the MC obj emission and MC .s emission are two naturally
> related, but separate tasks. I think the overall goal of having the MC
> .s/.o drive the entire flow is probably a great idea. Your plan for
> MC.s and MC.o sounds spot on as well. I humbly suggest you tackle the
> .s emission, and I tackle the .o emission

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. We can always adjust later if need be for some reason. Looking forward to working with you.

> - I haven't thought about
> how this will interact with generating arch-specific .so's directly
> from LLVM...

Semi off the top of my head, I'd expect the normal code path for that to still go through the linker rather than being emitted directly. If nothing else, to resolve any symbols that need to be brought in from static libs.  That said, in combination with the LTO and perhaps some additional restrictions (no static symbol dependencies, etc.), I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a .so emitter.

Regards,
  Jim