[LLVMdev] Valid names for symbols

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sat Sep 11 11:03:33 PDT 2010

What's the set of valid characters that can occur in an LLVM symbol name?

The reason I ask is that my compiler is generating symbols based on
method names. Some methods are operators, and I haven't got around to
mangling the names yet. As a result it's producing symbols that look
like _f_+ and _f_:=.

LLVM seems to be coping fine with these so far and the IR output is
quoting them, producing lines like:

%7 = call fastcc i32 @"_f_+"(i8* %6, i32 1)

Should I be mangling the names, or can I rely on LLVM to cope? If so,
will LLVM correctly mangle the names itself to keep the platform
assembler happy?

│ "Thou who might be our Father, who perhaps may be in Heaven, hallowed
│ be Thy Name, if Name Thou hast and any desire to see it hallowed..."
│ --- _Creatures of Light and Darkness_, Roger Zelazny