[LLVMdev] using GCC LTO files as a frontend to dragonegg?

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Fri Sep 10 11:45:28 PDT 2010

On 10 September 2010 14:37, Marcus Daniels <mdaniels at lanl.gov> wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> With GCC, it is possible to compile GIMPLE from an object file back to
> assembly.  With Dragonegg, it seems to be a NOP.  (See below for a
> comparison.)
>
> This appears it could be a nice way to mix the strengths of GCC and
> LLVM.  If it worked..  Should it?

I can't remember if lot1 (gcc's lto compiler) can load plugins, but if
it can, dragonegg can probably be made to work with it.

But if that is the case, I also don't see much difference in the
result you would get from using dragonegg with the original FE. I
think it plugs itself in the same spot the regular gcc writes its IL
to disk.

> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Cheers,