[LLVMdev] Adding a Buildbot Slave

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Sep 9 11:19:45 PDT 2010

Hi David,

> How would I go about registering a machine with the LLVM buildbot
> as a build slave?  I now have a fairly stable linux-x86_64 machine
> to add to the pool.

on the machine you need to install buildbot (version 0.7x, not version
0.8 or later).

You need to check out
   http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/zorg/trunk/buildbot/osuosl
onto the machine.

Choose yourself a buildslave name and password, and use them in
osuosl/Config.py, for example

	--- osuosl/Config.py	(revision 112825)
	+++ osuosl/Config.py	(working copy)
	@@ -9,10 +9,10 @@
	 # Slave configuration parameters.

	 def getBuildslaveName():
	-    raise NotImplementedError,'please update Config.py with the buildslave name'
	+    return 'gcc10'

	 def getBuildslavePassword():
	-    raise NotImplementedError,'please update Config.py with the buildslave
password'
	+    return 'yothepassword'

	 # Master configuration parameters.

Do not commit these changes.  Instead, send the name and password to Daniel.

Place a description of your machine in osuosl/slave/info/host, for example
-INSERT YOUR HOST INFORMATION HERE
+580G  2x4x2.2 GHz Opteron 8354 Barcelona B3 / 16 GB RAM

Do not commit this change either.

In osuosl/master/config/slaves.py, add an appropriate create_slave line and
commit it.  You can do this on some other machine; it isn't used by the build
slave.  Alternatively, Daniel will probably do this for you if you don't.

You can try adding an appropriate builder description to
osuosl/master/config/builders.py, or you can just explain to Daniel what you
want the buildbot to be used for, and he will probably add the right thing for
you.

Once Daniel has made the appropriate changes and reconfigured the master, you
can do the following on your machine:

   cd osuosl/slave
   twistd --nodaemon --python=buildbot.tac --logfile=twistd.log --prefix=osuosl

You can see how it's going at google1.osuosl.org:8011/console
I think that's everything...

Ciao,

Duncan.