[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to cross-compile ADA programs

Elisa Turrini elisa.turrini7 at unibo.it
Thu Sep 9 09:13:34 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I'm trying to use LLVM 2.7 (running on a x86-32 platform) as cross compiler to build ADA programs that will run on a different target platform (PowerPc).

The LLVM documentation states that: "The only platform for which the Ada front-end is known to build is 32 bit intel x86 running linux. It is unlikely to build for other systems without some work."

and also:

"The Ada front-end currently only builds on X86-32. This is mainly due to lack of trampoline support (pointers to nested functions) on other platforms. However, it also fails to build on X86-64 which does support trampolines."

So my question is: do these problems prevent us from using LLVM as cross-compiler for ADA programs? I suppose they don't, as they concern the "host" platform only, not the "target" platform. Is it correct?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
Elisa