[LLVMdev] help converting llvm metadata into dwarf tags

Roger Wang innit42 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 09:59:25 PDT 2010

hi Devang and thanks for the tips, i finally managed to fit all the pieces
together into something that seems to work.

It's probably not the best (or even correct!) way of doing it but here's a
brief overview for reference:

An instruction in the LLVM IR gets converted into an SDNode in the DAG then
later into a MachineInstr.
I'd already attached my own MDNodes to IR instructions I was interested in.
I wanted to propagate that info to the final binary.

I Added a field to the SelectionDAGBuilder holding the current metadata
which I update in SelectionDAGISel::SetDebugLoc()  for every IR instruction.
Next, in SelectionDAGBuilder::visit() i transfer the current instruction's
metadata from the DAGBuilder to the instruction's SDNode.

In InstrEmitter::EmitNode() I copy the metadata from the SDNode to the
MachineInstr. DwarfDebug::endModule() creates my user-defined DIE (after
defining my own DW_TAG and DW_AT IDs in Dwarf.h) and adds it to the ModuleCU
(for simplicity I'm adding my DIEs to the module's debug_info section)

I Added a few lines to Dwarf.cpp for emitting the correct name for my new
DW_TAG and AT (useful when looking at commented assembly)

Finally, in AsmPrinter::processDebugLoc() I grab the metadata from the
MachineInstr and pass it to the DwarfWriter to add it to its DwarfDebug
member. When the assembly is emitted, the debug_info section contains my new
dwarf DIE which I've managed to retrieve from the binary with a dwarf
consumer.

cheers,
rw.