[LLVMdev] Union type, is it really used or necessary?

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Tue Sep 7 08:38:33 PDT 2010

On 7 September 2010 16:16, Talin <viridia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a suggestion - can we make the "union patch" (the inverse of the
> patch that removed unions) as a downloadable file so that people who are
> interested in finishing the work can do so?

The patch would degenerate quickly and become useless after a few
commits/releases.

Maybe a high level docs would be best, with the basic points like the
one on how to create a FunctionPass, but focused on how to create a
new Type. And a special section on the rationale about unions (and its
intrinsic problems with type sizes in front-end/back-end code
generation).

--
cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at