[LLVMdev] Register design decision for backend

Borja Ferrer borja.ferav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 08:57:52 PDT 2010

Thanks for the reply Jakob, good to know that my assumption that LLVM would
split regs into smaller subregs is confirmed to be too optimistic. It would
be nice if this case could be handled by LLVM, basically trying to split
regs and see if patterns match with the splitted regs before giving an
error.

About the transformation you mentioned in the selection DAG phase, that was
my initial question, how to do it. I dont know if you meant to customize
each arithmetic and logical operation with setOperationAction() or if there
is way to just split regs and let LLVM handle the rest, so if you could
expand a bit more on how to do it that would be great :)
I havent seen any other backend doing this because they all have
instructions that are able to work with their widest regs, but my case is
different because im working with register pairs and machine instructions
can only work with the pair parts.

Thanks.