[LLVMdev] RFC: [Proposal] Module-Level Attributes

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:52:50 PDT 2010

> LTO would see that the module attributes are incompatible and will reject
> trying
> to link the two modules.
> Comments?

Just questions since I am not familiar with objc:

*) Is the native linker able to handle this if you don't use LTO?
*) -fobjc-gc/-fno-objc-gc have any other impact on functions or data
structures? Could you use these to detect the problem?

I am just a bit concerned that llvm-extract (and therefore bugpoint)
will not work correctly for functions that have a dependency on file
attributes. If it is not easy to detect the above issues by looking at
function signatures or something similar, the above proposal looks
like a reasonable way to do it.

Can you constrain that, in the LTO level, the module attributes are
used only to check for compatibility? Once the modules are found to me
compatible and merged the attributes can still impact codegen.

> -bw

Cheers,
Rafael