[LLVMdev] Inlining in LLVM

J Nelson Amaral amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
Sun Oct 24 10:23:01 PDT 2010

Duncan:

I am only superficially familiar with LLVM structure.

What I am trying to find out is if functions that have a single invocation
are still found in the code during the compilation.

In Open64 and other compilers, there is an early inlining pass that inlines
all procedures that have a single invocation site. The reasoning is that if
there is a single call to a procedure, then there is not downside to
inlining it.

Does LLVM usually does that? Or would that be left to whatever front-end is
being used?

--
        Cheers,

                Nelson

           /
    \     /  /   Jose Nelson Amaral - amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
     )   /  (    Professor
    /   /    \   Dept. of Computing Science - University of Alberta
   (   /      )  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2E8
    \ O      /   Phone: (780)492-5411      Fax: (780)492-1071
     \      /    http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~amaral
      `----'