[LLVMdev] [llvm-commits] Fwd: Proof of concept patch for unifying the .s/ELF emission of .ARM.attributes

Jason Kim jasonwkim at google.com
Fri Oct 22 12:51:46 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
<rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also what is the preferred method for MC way of setting out subsection
>> sizes after the fact? I am guessing I need to use an MCFixup?
>> How do I get an MCExpr to evaluate a method for the subsection size?
>> Is there an equivalent use in the places using MCFixup?
>> Do I need to add a new subclass to MCExpr for doing this?
>>
>> JimG, can you please comment on the MachO specific parts in the
>> ARMAsmPrinter.cpp? Is there an example of a "subsection size" that is
>> "Fixed up" after all the blobs that go into that subsection are
>> emitted? The closest examples I could find weren't that close :-(
>> (Matter of fact, for ELF, it looks like the section sizes are actually
>> calculated after everything has been processed by MCAssembler, and the
>> headers sizes are not "fixed up" but completely rewritten from the
>> beginning)
>
> I really don't follow. Please just convert the current patch to use
> the existing APIs. If in the next one you really need a missing
> feature it will be a lot easier to explain what it is.

Hi Rafael

Included are two patches. The first one s06-mod, is the original one.
The s06-brk uses the high level Streamer interface, but currently does
not pass the test I added.

Please see the comments in the second patch. Hopefully it clarifies
the issues in using the high level MCStreamer interface in emitting
the .ARM.attributes ELF section directly.
It does not seem worthwhile to use the high level Streamer interface
for this kind of work,  so I'd very much like some feedback on what
the preferred solution is.

Thanks!
-jason